Re: delete-file to trash

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: delete-file to trash
Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 20:52:11 -0400

> FWIW, when I work on Windows and happen to delete files from the
> Explorer, I always hold the Shift key.

One of the first steps in my learning Unix was to learn how to
add/change an alias in my shell to replace my syadmin's default alias of
"rm" from "rm -i" to "rm -rf".  Guess what: I never regretted it
(tho I've gotten rid of this alias in the mean time, because my fingers
learned to always type "rm -rf" anyway).

And remember: I'm the guy who constantly commits changes that don't
even compile, so it's not like I'm a careful user.

OT1H the trashcan "feature" is something that enough people think they
want that we do want to support it.  But OTOH I do think that people
will end up seeing the light (think of when Gnome will keep all your
files under a VCS as a matter of course), so I think "move-to-trash" is
transient and will be replaced by some kind of "automatic commit".
We don't have to worry about it yet, maybe, but we should think about
how best to deal with "move-to-trash" within this context.

        Stefan "Always have a backup"