Re: force-mode-line-update ALL argument

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: force-mode-line-update ALL argument
Date: Sat, 22 May 2010 10:50:45 +0200

Thank you for your efforts but I don't get it yet :-(

> By making `other-buffer' the current-buffer we're effectively asking
> Emacs to select some buffer which is _not_ visible and updating _its_
> modeline as well if it has changed recently.

What makes you conclude that a `set-buffer' on the value returned by
`other-buffer' causes updating the modeline of a buffer that maybe has
neither been changed nor displayed?

> An other non-visible
> buffer on the current frame

What is a non-visible buffer on a frame?  When a buffer is visible it is
on a frame.  When a buffer is not visible it is on no frame.

> which is not visible but has been modified
> (a modeline change counting as such)

What is a "modeline change" and how can it modify the buffer or count as
a buffer modification?

> will tickle the buffer-modified-p
> predicate

This predicate is set by a buffer change and by nothing else.

> thereby forcing _all_ non-visible buffers on current frame
> to have their modeline updated...

The only reason of updating a modeline is when the buffer is visible.

martin, still hoping that someone can shed light on this issue