Re: Use Core Text for Cocoa Emacs

From: Adrian Robert
Subject: Re: Use Core Text for Cocoa Emacs
Date: Sat, 22 May 2010 11:21:45 +0300

On May 22, 2010, at 10:05 AM, Jason Rumney wrote:

> Adrian Robert <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> <covici <at> ccs.covici.com> writes:
>>
>>> Microsoft Word is complete inaccessible on the mac,
>>> Microsoft won't conform and Apple says heck with you -- in other words.
>>
>> How is Apple saying "heck with you" here?
>
> Because any system that requires special effort on the part of
> developers to make applications accessible will not get many accessible
> applications made for it.
>
> Other systems' accessible applications may be inferior in some way due
> to the fact they don't have these special APIs, but since no effort is
> required by the application developers, the sheer volume of accessible
> applications outweighs that.

So you're saying they did what ended up being an inferior job of producing
accessibility APIs.. I still don't see how that is the same as saying "the heck
with you".  Maybe Apple feels its more difficult API results in a better
experience for end users, and that it's better to have a few good apps then
many less good ones.  Or maybe it doesn't, but it was just too difficult for
them to implement something as clean as the Windows approach given the
framework environment they were starting from.  I don't know the technical
details here but I suspect both accessibility approaches were retrofits.