Re: M-; : comment-column gets overridden by fill-column. Is this the Rig

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: M-; : comment-column gets overridden by fill-column. Is this the Right Thing?
Date: Sat, 22 May 2010 21:15:28 -0400

> comment-choose-indent (which might better be called
> comment-chews-indent ;-) makes the comment fit inside fill-column,
> despite the fact that auto-fill-mode isn't enabled.  This is surely not
> the right thing.  Should c-c-indent use fill-column when auto-fill-mode
> is enabled?

We can do two things:
- ignore fill-column if it's smaller than comment-column.
  That's a pretty "obviously safe" choice which would solve the problem
  of the OP.
- only obey fill-column if auto-fill-mode is enabled.

The second choice is an incompatible change and would force me to enable
auto-fill-mode in my programming modes (and then set
comment-auto-fill-only-comments to avoid the annoying "fill code"
behavior), but it seems reasonable.

> Surely the documentation for M-; should mention fill-column?

As long as it doesn't mention comment-column, I don't see why it should
mention fill-column.

> Why is this comment stuff in such a mess?

What mess?

        Stefan