Re: visual-line-mode and line wrapping

From: Leo
Subject: Re: visual-line-mode and line wrapping
Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 20:53:54 +0100

On 2010-05-24 20:31 +0100, Chong Yidong wrote:
>> Using fringes or margins (now that I have tried it and I can imagine how
>> Lennart implement his mode) are all workarounds and they are not much
>> different than opening up a frame with the desired width but then it is
>> a waste of screen estate and it has impact on productivity.
>
> Implementing a wrap margin creates exactly the same waste of screen
> estate.  Functionally, the two are equivalent.

It might be the case for that buffer alone but the experience would be
different if you consider other activities while editing that buffer ie
switching to buffers, splitting windows etc. See this screenshot:
http://imagebin.org/98184. Basically I want to be able to put a cap on
the line length so that it won't go insanely long and make reading
painful.

Cheers.

Leo