Re: visual-line-mode and line wrapping

From: Leo
Subject: Re: visual-line-mode and line wrapping
Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 21:27:20 +0100

On 2010-05-24 20:58 +0100, Lennart Borgman wrote:
> I think there are some small functional differences:
>
> - Using my implementation (i.e. setting margins) puts the fringes next
> to the text. I think that is more useful but maybe someone else does
> not.

I hardly pay attention to fringes because I also run emacs in a terminal
where no fringes present.

> - Just wrapping would leave the fringes further away.

This is consistent.

> - Also if a wrap margin was implemented that would have to be changed
> dynamically according to window width. (Natural, of course.)

I don't know how much c-code would be required if we were to offer a
'maximum-visual-line-width' option here. The reality is there are long
lines from email clients (Apple Mail for example), documents from other
editors that you might need to collaborate with and situations where
adding hard new lines (as in fill-paragraph) is not allowed. So we have
to deal with them.

> However it would be useful to be able to turn of fringes per buffer or window.

Setting margin or fringes changes how window splits it is not that
transparent. basically you enter a special mode, where window might
split horizontally now splits vertically or vice versa.

> Leo, to make it easier for myself to stand the fringes I have
> implemented something I call better-fringes-mode ( ;-) ). Did you try
> that?

No but I'd be happy to try it out.

Leo