Re: visual-line-mode and line wrapping

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: visual-line-mode and line wrapping
Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 23:26:37 +0200

On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 10:26 PM, Stefan Monnier
<address@hidden> wrote:

> I think that adjusting margins is an absurd waste of screen real-estate,
> but at least (compared to your suggestion) it doesn't leave the fringe
> icons far away from the text, so I think it's a better solution than
> a wrap-width.  Of course, splitting windows is an even better solution.

There is always more than one view ;-)

One reason I implemented `wrap-to-fill-column' was that I wanted
something similar to "dark room", "write room" or whatever it is
called in different implementations. I.e. a view on the screen with
not to much disturbing things. Some people benefits from this (though
I am not so sure I am one of those ;-) ).

Another reason is that my view of Emacs' contents really is virtual. I
quickly switch views in my hunt for different details. Then I
sometimes find it good to have the contents in not too long lines on
the screen without having to fit the windows. (I use this more often
in org-mode than in other modes.)