Re: visual-line-mode and line wrapping

From: Sean Sieger
Subject: Re: visual-line-mode and line wrapping
Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 08:59:48 -0400

Lennart Borgman <address@hidden> writes:

    On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 10:26 PM, Stefan Monnier
    <address@hidden> wrote:

    > I think that adjusting margins is an absurd waste of screen real-estate,
    > but at least (compared to your suggestion) it doesn't leave the fringe
    > icons far away from the text, so I think it's a better solution than
    > a wrap-width.  Of course, splitting windows is an even better solution.

    There is always more than one view ;-)

    One reason I implemented `wrap-to-fill-column' was that I wanted
    something similar to "dark room", "write room" or whatever it is
    called in different implementations. I.e. a view on the screen with
    not to much disturbing things. Some people benefits from this (though
    I am not so sure I am one of those ;-) ).

I finally looked into those terms you've been mentioning (dark- and
writeroom) and a screenshot that I saw ... I guess I don't really see
the problem here ... has been effected by:

(defun full-screen-left-margin ()
  (interactive)
  (set-window-margins nil 25))
(global-set-key [f12] 'full-screen-left-margin)
(defun restored-screen-left-margin ()
  (interactive)
  (set-window-margins nil 0))
(global-set-key [f9] 'restored-screen-left-margin)

I don't like the f9 restore but f10 and f11 already being what they are,
well.

    Another reason is that my view of Emacs' contents really is virtual. I
    quickly switch views in my hunt for different details. Then I
    sometimes find it good to have the contents in not too long lines on
    the screen without having to fit the windows. (I use this more often
    in org-mode than in other modes.)

I have been using 12-inch lcd notebooks for a decade and /when I want to
focus on reading or writing/, I do f11, filling my little display with a
black background; f12, bumping the filled text to the center of the
display and I'm done.

I know this doesn't address a lot of what you guys are discussing, but I
just wanted to illustrate a, albeit simple, use of screen estate.