RE: visual-line-mode and line wrapping

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: visual-line-mode and line wrapping
Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 07:49:00 -0700

> > Also, it would be nice if one could bound the width used
> > for wrapping so that when a window becomes wider than a
> > certain size, the wrapping width would stick at some maximum
> > -- this is because extremely wide paragraphs can be hard to
> > read.  Similarly, when windows become narrow than some
> > width, it would be nice if wrapping actually respected some
> > _minimum_ width, so that you don't end up with the text in
> > a single narrow vertical line...
>
> I'd be fine with a "wrap-width" if it's a buffer-local variable that
> completely overrides the window-width wrapping, so that the
> wrapping is purely determined by the buffer and not by the window.
> This would mean that in narrow windows, long lines would be wrapped
> *and* truncated.

Not to take away from the utility of the wrapping being discussed, or to divert
the discussion, but if it is sometimes useful to be able to wrap that way for
the reasons given, I would think that in at least some of those use cases users
would also want to recuperate the "wasted" window width by automatically
resizing the window.

IOW, I would think that in some cases a user would want window fitting to
accompany the text wrapping: You want text to be wrapped for easy reading (not
too wide), and you want the window to be fit to that text, to not waste real
estate to the right of the wrapped text.