Re: Enabling bidi (was: Composing Hebrew diacriticals)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Enabling bidi (was: Composing Hebrew diacriticals)
Date: Wed, 26 May 2010 20:14:24 +0300

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 26 May 2010 09:28:13 -0400
>
> > % emacs -Q
> > ESC : (setq-default bidi-display-reordering t) RET
>
> I think it's time we set bidi-display-reordering to t by default.
> Any objection?

There are still 2 problems I'd like to fix before we do this:

  . Annoying unnecessary scrolls when moving cursor through continued
    lines (for one of its manifestations, see
    http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2010-05/msg00634.html)

  . Cursor positioning problems with truncated lines (cursor gets
    stuck at end of lines truncated on the left)

These problems affect anyone who turns on the bidi reordering, even if
all the characters in the buffer are strict L2R and no reordering
actually happens.

The first problem will almost certainly be fixed this weekend (I
already know where's the bug and how to fix that).  The second one
needs to be debugged, but I hope to get it nailed by this coming
Sunday as well.

However, if you think these problems are not grave enough to delay, go
ahead and turn it on, and let's see how much I screwed up.