New menu creation

From: supreet prasad
Subject: New menu creation
Date: Wed, 26 May 2010 11:39:23 -0700

Hello Emacs Developers,

I am very new to Emacs development. I am now trying to develop my own menu and I had a few questions about it.

Do I start of writing my code in a new .el file under "lisp" directory? Do I have to compile emacs and install it everytime I make some changes and want to test it?
I need to create a new menu item and perform a couple of simple tasks. Please let me know how I can proceed .
Any links or suggestions would be extremely helpful.

Thanks,
Supreet