Re: Concerning the new `ido-use-virtual-buffers' feature

From: Leo
Subject: Re: Concerning the new `ido-use-virtual-buffers' feature
Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 19:01:04 +0100

Hello all,

On 27 May 2010 11:57, Tassilo Horn <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Thursday 27 May 2010 11:56:53 Leo wrote:
>
> Hi Leo, John, Kim,
>
>> Meanwhile feel free to change the patch.
>
> Hm, it doesn't apply to the current bzr trunk.  Anyway, I rewrote it to
> be controled by the ido-use-virtual-buffers variable solely with 3
> values 'never, 'auto, and 'always.
>
> The resulting patch is attached.  Basically, it works, but there's one
> bug I cannot figure out how to solve.  When ido-use-virtual-buffers is
> 'auto and the current input doesn't even match any closed buffer
> (recentf file), then it's stuck instead of displaying [no match].
>
> I don't know ido very well and cannot figure out how to get that right.
> Kim, maybe you could check what's wrong?

I think it is in the added code in ido-exhibit which is run in
post-command-hook if I remember correctly.

When your input doesn't match any (including virtual ones), the code
in ido-exhibit tells ido (the big LOOP in ido-read-internal) to
rebuild the buffer list and there isn't any match so it rebuild again
and again. Go into a infinite loop.

You could try creating a new let-bound variable to detect such a
situation and avoid the infinite loop.

> I have papers on file.  I use 7 lines originating from Leo's patch, so I
> don't know if that has to wait till Leo's assignments arrive...
>
> Bye,
> Tassilo

HTH,
Leo