Re: Concerning the new `ido-use-virtual-buffers' feature

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Concerning the new `ido-use-virtual-buffers' feature
Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 21:05:44 +0200

On Thursday 27 May 2010 20:01:04 Leo wrote:

Hi Leo,

> > The resulting patch is attached.  Basically, it works, but there's
> > one bug I cannot figure out how to solve.  When
> > ido-use-virtual-buffers is 'auto and the current input doesn't even
> > match any closed buffer (recentf file), then it's stuck instead of
> > displaying [no match].
> >
> > I don't know ido very well and cannot figure out how to get that
> > right.  Kim, maybe you could check what's wrong?
>
> I think it is in the added code in ido-exhibit which is run in
> post-command-hook if I remember correctly.
>
> When your input doesn't match any (including virtual ones), the code
> in ido-exhibit tells ido (the big LOOP in ido-read-internal) to
> rebuild the buffer list and there isn't any match so it rebuild again
> and again. Go into a infinite loop.
>
> You could try creating a new let-bound variable to detect such a
> situation and avoid the infinite loop.

Thanks for that.  Here's a new patch which uses a new dynamic variable.
It seems to work as far as I can tell, but it would be great if you
could give it a test drive.

One other wishlist item would be to remove virtual buffers from the
completion list as soon as the input string matches a normal buffer
again, because the user deleted some chars from the input...

Bye,
Tassilo