Re: Concerning the new `ido-use-virtual-buffers' feature

From: Leo
Subject: Re: Concerning the new `ido-use-virtual-buffers' feature
Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 02:21:32 +0100

>> I think it is in the added code in ido-exhibit which is run in
>> post-command-hook if I remember correctly.
>>
>> When your input doesn't match any (including virtual ones), the code
>> in ido-exhibit tells ido (the big LOOP in ido-read-internal) to
>> rebuild the buffer list and there isn't any match so it rebuild again
>> and again. Go into a infinite loop.
>>
>> You could try creating a new let-bound variable to detect such a
>> situation and avoid the infinite loop.
>
> Thanks for that.  Here's a new patch which uses a new dynamic variable.
> It seems to work as far as I can tell, but it would be great if you
> could give it a test drive.
>
> One other wishlist item would be to remove virtual buffers from the
> completion list as soon as the input string matches a normal buffer
> again, because the user deleted some chars from the input...
>
> Bye,
> Tassilo

I slightly modified the patch and implemented the wishlist item.

For buffers, if a let-bound variable can be added in
ido-buffers-internal I usually avoid adding it in ido-read-internal.

To remove virtual buffers as soon as input matches existing ones, the
idea is to build a list of existing buffers (ignored buffers are not
included) and then match the input against it in ido-exhibit. My
testing is very brief though it seems working fine. Could you test it
more thoroughly? Also remember to try the toggle virtual buffers key
C-o too. Thanks.

Leo