Re: vc-git-log-incoming

From: Dan Nicolaescu
Subject: Re: vc-git-log-incoming
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2010 05:23:07 -0400

Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:

> vc-git-log-incoming seems to have a bunch of problems:

I was just typing a message asking what to do about some of these...
Input from more experienced git users would be appreciated.

>  (1) By default, it uses "git log HEAD..XXX", where XXX is
>      (vc-git-compute-remote), but this is only correct in some cases,
>      because the current branch and the branch being pulled from don't
>      necessarily have the same name (it failed on my emacs checkout, for
>      instance).
>
>      More correct would be to just use "address@hidden", which should
>      use the actual upstream branch; however I think the "@{upstream}"
>      feature was only added in git 1.7.0.

IMHO that would be fine too, we won't release emacs-24 anytime soon.

>  (2) If the user doesn't use the default, it just does "git log YYY",
>      where YYY is what the user entered, but this is probably not what's
>      wanted; really it should use "HEAD..YYY".

That should not be too hard to do.

>  (3) Most seriously, just using git-log like this doesn't actually give
>      a list of what will be pulled, because "git pull" first updates the
>      local copy of the remote's branches, whereas "git log" does not.
>
>      I'm not totally sure how to do this correctly -- you can get the
>      range of revisions that would be added during pulling (by the
>      underlying call to "git fetch") by using "git fetch --dry-run", but
>      that's not going to give you a log output....

This is the main problem... maybe vc-git-log-incoming can look for an
empty "git log" output, and offer to run "git fetch", and then rerun log...