Re: Window configurations

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Window configurations
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2010 10:08:04 -0400

>> then yes, we probably all agree.

> Tracing `with-output-to-temp-buffer' is a pain.  I suppose
> temp_output_buffer_show needs some reserved value for the second
> argument of `display-buffer' so the latter can set up the window-local
> buffer list appropriately.

I don't want to link with-output-to-temp-buffer and display-buffer.
I.e. if it requires something special from display-buffer, then that
extra flexibility will have to be added to display-buffer, but not in
a "reserved value" kind of way.

>> E.g. "immediately" after split-window, any set-window-buffer will not
>> push the current buffer on the buffer-list of that window.
> Aren't there too many ways to make this `set-window-buffer' happen?

Maybe.  I think we won't know before we try it.

>> > We could make this customizable.
> Not really.  I want to avoid that changing the established behavior
> causes people who do not care anyway ask for getting the old behavior
> back.  If we make this customizable we can concentrate on the criticism
> of people who really do care.

I'd rather deal with the disgruntled than add a customization variable.

        Stefan