Re: Visual line mode in email citation

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Visual line mode in email citation
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2010 17:18:13 +0200

On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 5:05 PM, Chong Yidong <address@hidden> wrote:
> Reiner Steib <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> On Mon, May 31 2010, Uday S Reddy wrote:
>>
>>> Getting email messages with long lines is a pretty common thing.
>>
>> Unfortunately.  MUAs (and users) that use format=flowed correctly,
>> insert soft newlines at (say) column 70.  Your message was incorrect
>> with regards to this.  Thunderbird is (or was?) known to have issues
>> with f=f.
>
> It might be good to set `word-wrap' to non-nil in article buffers, on
> Emacs.  That way, even if Gnus doesn't fill the text due to a buggy MUA
> or some other reason, the text will at least be easy to read.

I added "visual citation markers" for such cases in
visual-indent-mode. I have tried it with gmail (which I edit in Emacs
sometimes though I use the web interface to gmail), but I do not know
how it works otherwise.

The idea is that it should show "visual citation markers" looking a
little bit different than the normal ones, but similar, when
visual-line-mode has wrapped a line.

If someone wants to try the code is currently in wrap-to-fill.el in
nXhtml. Suggestions are of cause welcome.