Re: CEDET sync

From: Daniel Clemente
Subject: Re: CEDET sync
Date: Sun, 06 Jun 2010 08:34:17 +0200

> My concern with such a scheme is how (*) to transplant changes from cedet into
> an emacs subdirectory, such that all cedet commit logs and dates are
> maintained.

 An easier setup:

  The CEDET branch (where CEDET programmers make most changes) is a branch of
Emacs' trunk (done by: bzr branch http://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/r/emacs/trunk/
cedet).
  That means they don't work with „a directory which contains CEDET“, but with
„a directory which contains the whole Emacs, including CEDET“. Obviously their
changes will affect mostly the CEDET part and not the rest of Emacs.
  To bring changes by Emacs' trunk developers into the CEDET branch, use bzr
pull (bzr merge if there were conflicts). It will be easy because both branches
have a common ancestor.
  To push CEDET changes to Emacs' trunk, use bzr push. It will be as easy. You
don't have to worry about putting things in the correct subdirectory because
the file structure is the same in both branches.
  In order to package CEDET in a .tar.gz, care should be taken to select only
the CEDET-related files and not the whole Emacs.

  This setup has the disadvantage of taking a little more space in disk for the
CEDET branch (because you handle much more than CEDET), but other than that,
it's very easy.

  Greetings,
Daniel