Re: Embedding Emacs in other apps

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: Embedding Emacs in other apps
Date: Sun, 06 Jun 2010 14:14:37 -0700

Chong Yidong <address@hidden> writes:

>> I've wondered if it is possible to embed emacs in other applications,
>> so for example that I can edit textfields in my browser using emacs.
>> I quickly found this NEWS entry for emacs 23.
>>
>> | *** Emacs now supports the XEmbed specification.
>>
>> But this --parent-id option is only available to emacs, not
>> emacsclient.  Is that intended or technically not feasible otherwise?
>
> I've just added a --parent-id option to emacsclient.  Thanks to Jan for
> a helpful testcase.

Has any progress been made in this area?

It seems that given the existence of Emacs support for Xembed and the
existence of Firefox support for XEmbed'd plugins (e.g. [1]) most of the
hard work for integrating Emacs into a web-browser has already been
accomplished.

Is there some reason that putting these pieces together is more
difficult than it appear on the surface?

Are there any existing demos of an XEmbedding Emacs into another
application?

Thanks -- Eric

Footnotes:
[1]  http://multimedia.cx/diamondx/