Re: Window configurations

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: Window configurations
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2010 15:40:59 +0200

>> One of my favorite mysteries is why, when WINDOW is already selected,
>> `select-window' should not set the current buffer.
>
> I think the answer is simply "because it's not needed".  In contrast,
> when we do have to change the selected window, we have to pay attention
> to the point/window-point correspondence which makes it necessary to set
> the buffer.  Of course, this necessity could be made just internal.
>
> IOW, it's mostly accidental.

What I meant was that the current implementation gives very contrived
semantics.  The test in

(with-current-buffer buffer
  (with-selected-window window
    (eq (current-buffer) buffer)

succeeds unless `window' was not selected and did not display `buffer'
at the time `with-selected-window' was entered.

martin