arrow keys vs. C-f/b/n/p (was: Performance)

From: David Kastrup
Subject: arrow keys vs. C-f/b/n/p (was: Performance)
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2010 16:22:51 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> From what you tell, it sounds like vertical cursor motion is the
> problem; please try C-f and C-b (_not_ the arrow keys!) and tell if
> they are reasonably fast or also slow.

Since we opened that can of worms already by making C-f/C-b do logical
motion as opposed to the arrow keys doing visual motion, I should think
it would make sense to disconnect C-n/C-p from the vertical arrow keys
as well and move them in a non-display-related manner in the "keep the
same C-f distance from the last LF" sense.  I have no good answer what
to do about tabs, but I am likely in a lot of company there.  Anyway:
likely the same with "C-a" "C-e" for logical movement as contrasted to
<home> and <end> for visual movement.

It may make sense to allow switching everything to logical manner, or
everything to visual manner, but the default setting of "Use visual
motion in all regards for off-keyboard special keys, and logical for
everything on-keyboard" seems to be a good match to the brain areas
people are expecting to engage in connection with certain kinds of
keybindings.

--
David Kastrup