Re: arrow keys vs. C-f/b/n/p (was: Performance)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: arrow keys vs. C-f/b/n/p (was: Performance)
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2010 10:39:52 -0400

> From: David Kastrup <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2010 16:22:51 +0200
>
> Since we opened that can of worms already by making C-f/C-b do logical
> motion as opposed to the arrow keys doing visual motion, I should think
> it would make sense to disconnect C-n/C-p from the vertical arrow keys
> as well and move them in a non-display-related manner in the "keep the
> same C-f distance from the last LF" sense.

I have no objection to this suggestion, although I'm not sure when I
personally would use such kind of a down/up-arrow command.

> likely the same with "C-a" "C-e" for logical movement as contrasted to
> <home> and <end> for visual movement.

To this, I object.  I made the left/right arrows and their
Ctrl-modified siblings move to the left resp. right, regardless of the
logical buffer order, because this is what users of bidirectional
scripts expect -- they are used to it in every other bidi-aware
application out there.  By contrast, <home> and <end> always move to
the beginning resp. end of the current line, they have no relation to
either left or right directions.