Re: System calls without error checks in w32

From: grischka
Subject: Re: System calls without error checks in w32
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2010 19:21:11 +0200

Lennart Borgman wrote:
I guess the idea of having two event loops/thread is not in itself
bad. If the gui thread is never blocked it can be used to convey
status information at least to the user. (You can put these in
temporary windows inside the frame for example.)

Since this is Emacs you'd probably want to format your status info
in Lisp.  Bye nice idea and welcome to thread hell.

But sometimes I wonder wheter all windows really runs in the gui
threads. And why does not C-g break all looping, even those in timers
(like fontification)? And is it the same trouble on other platfoms or
is it just the w32 port that has this?

And moreover I wonder wether all messages really reach their
destinations or if something is blocking them in certain situations.
(Again, why is not C-g handled in the case above?)

And what is blocking Emacs during the time when a new frame is
created? Why is not that done asynchronously?

I guess there are some people wondering sometimes about something.
Thread bugs typically show up sometimes.  And typically you'll find
nobody who wants to look at them.

--- grischka