Re: arrow keys vs. C-f/b/n/p

From: Davis Herring
Subject: Re: arrow keys vs. C-f/b/n/p
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2010 15:32:55 -0700 (PDT)

> Yes. But I'm clearly misunderstanding something. With etc/HELLO as is,
> if I move the cursor over the arabic line, both C-f and <right> do the
> exact same thing. If I turn the text into R2L as Andreas suggested
> then, yes, I see the difference. But you talked about R2L text (the
> arabic words) within an L2R paragraph, not the other way around; or at
> least that's how I interpret it. So obviously my lousy English skills
> are failing me again.

That's just the point.  <right>, as it stands, is only aware of the
direction of the paragraph, not of the text, so it moves forward in
logical order in an L2R paragraph even when that means moving leftward on
the screen.  Eli, I believe, is proposing changing things so that
<right>/etc. move visually in all cases (while C-f/etc. would still move
logically in all cases).

Davis

shipping.