Re: Convert a keyboard macro to equivalent Lisp code

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Convert a keyboard macro to equivalent Lisp code
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2010 21:36:30 -0400

>>> To get useful results, some commands should provide their arguments
>>> explicitly in the interactive spec instead of relying on global
>>> variables.  So instead of useless `(self-insert-command 1)' typing `A'
>>> will record `(self-insert-command 1 65)' with the following patch.
>>> The same is for isearch.
>> This will break all Elisp calls to self-insert-command (grep finds more
>> than 100 of them in lisp/**/*.el) ;-(
> I don't understand how it breaks Elisp calls.

The part you don't understand is that I only noticed your

>   if (NILP (last_char))
>     last_char = last_command_event;

right *after* sending my email.

>> Of course, even better would be if the code run during macro recording
>> is the code generated (so if the behavior is different from the normal
>> command's behavior, you might see it during recording).
> We could later add an option to verify to macro during recording.

I'm heading towards a special "recording&running macro" mode where
various commands may have a slightly different behavior (less DWIMish,
more amenable to scripting, more amenable to transforming into Elisp
code), so "verifying" might not be the right approach since a different
behavior might not be a problem but a feature.

        Stefan