Re: support for git commit --amend/--signoff

From: Dan Nicolaescu
Subject: Re: support for git commit --amend/--signoff
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 09:23:52 -0400

Juri Linkov <address@hidden> writes:

>> It would be nice if VC commit would support --amend and --signoff for git.
>>
>> The patch below adds key bindings to toggle some variables in the log-edit
>> buffer.
>> (for --amend it also inserts the contents of the last commit message)
>>
>> Now vc-git-checkin needs to know any of these variables has been set,
>> so that it can pass the right flags to the git commit command.
>>
>> Other VC backends might want to implement similar things.
>>
>> What is the best way to pass custom flags to the vc-checkin command?
>
> The same way as you pass Author:, Summary: and Fixes:?

Those are done by parsing the contents of the *VC-log* buffer.
For --amend I think we should have a different mechanism that does not
involve editing the text in the *VC-log* buffer, it's a more
destructive operation and it's not a good idea to allow the user to do
it by mistake by just placing an Amend: line in the buffer.

We need a different mechanism.  I added one such a mechanism at some
point, an optional `extra' argument to the vc-BACKEND-checkin command,
but that got removed...