Re: arrow keys vs. C-f/b/n/p

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: arrow keys vs. C-f/b/n/p
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 13:37:59 -0400

James Cloos <address@hidden> writes:

> In gedit C-f and C-b move forward and backward logically, whereas LEFT
> and RIGHT move left and right visually.  I suspect that all παν語 (aka
> pango) apps -- notably including most gtk/gnome apps -- will also do so.
>
> In seamonkey, in a web-page's text input box, both the arrow keys and
> the C-b and C-f keys move visually.
>
> In gvim, both the h and l keys and the arrow keys move visually.
>
> In Openoffice.org, the arrow keys move logically.

Well, this sample indicates a complete lack of consensus, contra Eli's
earlier statement that

>>> this is what users of bidirectional scripts expect -- they are used
>>> to it in every other bidi-aware application out there.

One possibility is that editors intended specifically for bidi, such as
native-language Hebrew or Arabic apps, have a convention that vim,
gedit, etc have not taken up.  So, could anyone who has experience with
such apps speak up?