Re: arrow keys vs. C-f/b/n/p

From: Uday S Reddy
Subject: Re: arrow keys vs. C-f/b/n/p
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 20:34:46 +0100

Drew Adams wrote:

It's actually not really decoupled.
It just switches between "C-f = right and C-b = left" and
"C-f = left and C-b = right" based on the paragraph's direction.
Which seems eminently meaningful since the associating between
"forward" and "right" is just based on our usual convention of
writing L2R.

On the surface this seems wrong and overly complicated (to me). "Eminently
meaningful" it no doubt is, but it seems somehow bass ackwards. ;-) It seems
wrong for `right' to mean "left".

No, Stefan is not saying 'right' should mean "left"!

He is saying that 'right' moves right, 'left' moves left, 'C-f' moves forward in the text direction and 'C-b' moves backward in the text direction. Sometimes the two sets of keys match up one way, and sometimes the other way. Eminently meaningful indeed!

Whether you want to call this "coupled" or "decoupled" is a matter of terminology.

But is it really important that "forward" in a command name move toward the left
in R2L? Why should "forward" necessarily mean "from text beginning toward text
end" rather than just "toward the right"? What is at stake here?

Only an R2L user can answer that (which I am not). However, consistency matters. If "forward" doesn't really mean forward in the text, I think you will end up with nonsense in the end, such as "beginning of sentence" moving to the end of sentence. That is why I came up with a bunch of questions the other day, which seem all interlinked.

Cheers,
Uday