Re: arrow keys vs. C-f/b/n/p

From: James Cloos
Subject: Re: arrow keys vs. C-f/b/n/p
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2010 08:40:02 -0400

EZ> So what does the RIGHT arrow do in a R2L paragraph, i.e. in a
EZ> paragraph that is displayed flushed all the way to the right margin of
EZ> the window?  Are you saying that the RIGHT arrow actually moves to the
EZ> _left_ in such a paragraph?  (You say that RIGHT moves in the reading
EZ> direction, but the reading direction in a R2L paragraph is right to
EZ> left.)

Yes, exactly.

I didn't try any of the tests in a Hebrew, Arabic or Farsi locale,
though, and a retest confirms, at least when running in en_US.UTF-8,
that I have to manually set the paragraph direction with the align
right paragraph control.

I just tried using LC_ALL=fa_FA.UTF-8.  With that the arrow keys do
exatly the opposite of what they do with LANG=en_US.UTF-8; the LEFT
key moves forward in logical order and the RIGHT key backwards.  But
they still always move in logical order, just swapping the forward vs
back meanings as compared to what they do when run in a l2r locale.
Weird!

Oh, and the default paragraph alignment does become Align Right,
as expected.

I still prefer only logical moves, with C-f moving forward, C-b moving
backward, LEFT always matching C-b and RIGHT always matching C-f.  But
I have no idea what users who use a r2e LANG/LC_* would want.

-JimC
--
James Cloos <address@hidden>         OpenPGP: 1024D/ED7DAEA6