Re: unit test framework

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: unit test framework
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2010 15:48:35 +0200

On Sat, Jun 12, 2010 at 8:06 AM, Christian Ohler
<address@hidden> wrote:

> It does not yet include utilities for testing Emacs state such as window
> layouts and buffer contents with text properties, or user input, but such
> utilities are orthogonal to the basic test execution framework and can be
> added incrementally.  I think Lennart has some of this already in his fork.

My additions are for running commands (i.e. running the necessary
hooks in hopefully correct order) and for testing of fontification.
There is also a little bit for adding a test input file for a test.
And a bit for keeping track of the test name.

But I suggest you review my code and tweak it to your liking. Please
contact me off list.

> I have some spare time now and can offer to work on integrating ert into
> Emacs; any suggestions where to start?  Where does a file like ert.el
> belong?  Where should the corresponding tests go?

There is already a sub-directory for tests, "emacs/test". To my
surprise the elisp files for test also is there. I suggest these
should be somewhere like "emacs/lisp/test" instead and that
"emacs/test" will be for data files etc instead.

An objection to this might be that the tests can't be run without the
data. Yes, but the code in the elisp files can serve as examples for
those writing tests.