Re: arrow keys vs. C-f/b/n/p

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: arrow keys vs. C-f/b/n/p
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2010 16:57:30 +0200

On Sat, Jun 12, 2010 at 12:48 PM, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:

> I know all these references, and have a few more.

I am sure you do.

> I agree that it
> would be nice to have all the features they preach about.  People are
> welcome to step forward and implement them;

I believe you have done a great job implementing this, but I do not
think it is finished until the visual movement is implemented too.

> I'm not saying that logical-order motion is the only mode we should
> have.  I'm saying that it's the absolute minimum, without which Emacs
> would be unusable with bidirectional text.

I think you are right. And I think that visual movement should be the default.

> And that is why I
> implemented them -- to have Emacs minimally usable for editing
> bidirectional scripts.

It is great.

>> - http://wiki.sibawayhi.org/keyboard - READING IS NOT CURSORING!
>
> The author of this page is an enthusiastic users of the current Emacs,
> so I guess practice is not necessarily so black-and-white as it
> sounds.

I do not know who it is, but I really agree with his arguing here.

>> - http://www.qsm.co.il/Hebrew/logicUI22.htm - "The logical approach is
>> sometimes preferred by implementors, mostly because its implementation
>> is easier.
>
> "Easier" my foot!  Believe me, it's not at all easy in Emacs, with all
> its advanced display features.

I am sure they only referred to the (missing) implementation of visual
movement ;-)

And the core part of this implementation is of course already done
when the text is displayed correctly on screen. (Which does not mean
that the rest is necessarily easy to do.)