RE: arrow keys vs. C-f/b/n/p

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: arrow keys vs. C-f/b/n/p
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2010 07:26:47 -0700

> > It just switches between "C-f = right and C-b = left" and
> > "C-f = left and C-b = right" based on the paragraph's direction.
> > Which seems eminently meaningful since the associating between
> > "forward" and "right" is just based on our usual convention of
> > writing L2R.
>
> Exactly.

Exactly what? That just _restates_ the claim that the left arrow key should
follow the logical order like C-f and not follow the logical order like C-b, in
a R2L para.

No _reason_ has yet been given for such arrow key behavior. You've said it is
needed in order to not be "counter-intuitive". But that argument alone should
apply as well to C-f/C-b.

To be clear, I don't have a problem with the behavior you describe. But I don't
see any supporting argument for it either, so far.