Re: arrow keys vs. C-f/b/n/p

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: arrow keys vs. C-f/b/n/p
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2010 19:10:10 +0300

> From: "Drew Adams" <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2010 07:26:53 -0700
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> I think you still have not given a good reason for swapping the arrow keys in
> an
> R2L para.

The reason for that is the important special case where the paragraph
is made of R2L text only.  In such a paragraph, moving to the left
means moving forward in the buffer.  That is why the left arrow does
the same as C-f in a R2L paragraph.

> Just explain what you explained in your first mail today: logical order
> (whether
> C-f/C-b or arrows), paragraphs that are only R2L or only L2R, etc. You said it
> very clearly and fairly succinctly. I think it probably cleared things up for
> several of us.

I explained some of that already, in the node "Bidirectional Editing"
in the Emacs user manual.  The bidi-aware behavior of the arrow keys
is described in the node "Moving Point".  Please see if that's enough.