Re: arrow keys vs. C-f/b/n/p

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: arrow keys vs. C-f/b/n/p
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2010 21:38:09 +0300

> From: Lennart Borgman <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2010 19:25:41 +0200
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>, address@hidden
>
> On Sat, Jun 12, 2010 at 7:12 PM, Drew Adams <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> > In fact, you might drop "logical" altogether - the word itself doesn't
> > really
> > help here. If you speak about the order of the chars in the buffer (as
> > opposed
> > to how they appear) I think that will be clear.
>

> From what I read it seems to me that "logical" should mean "human
> reading order", not the buffer character order.

These two orders are identical.  The reason is that people type text
in the order they read it.  "Logical order" just means we store text
in the same order as it is read and typed.

> I guess they are the same here, but that is an implementation detail

No, it's not an implementation detail.  Emacs stores text in files,
and those files also use the logical order.  As soon as text is saved
on a file, the order of characters is not longer internal to Emacs.

In using logical order, Emacs follows the other applications; doing
that the other way around would mean the files created by Emacs are
incompatible with other applications.