Re: arrow keys vs. C-f/b/n/p

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: arrow keys vs. C-f/b/n/p
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2010 22:58:44 +0300

> From: Lennart Borgman <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2010 21:34:35 +0200
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> > The answer to this is as far as I can see that the visual region in
> > this case no longer internally corresponds to a single range, but to
> > two noncontinuous ranges in the buffer. If I am correct on this, is
> > not this then a difficulty that must be handled to finish the bidi
> > support?
>
> I just tested in etc/HELLO to see how you have handled this. You took
> another route than I expected and I think it makes sense.

That other route is simply logical-order region, supported by a
logical-order cursor motion.

> When selecting a region with the two end points in parts with
> different directions you instead split the visual region on screen.

The important part is that the logical-order region is contiguous.
The seeming ``split'' on the screen is just the effect produced by
reordering characters for display.

> However it has nothing at all to do with the visual movements when
> using the arrow keys. That movement can (and in my opinion should)
> still be visual.

See my question in my other mail: with visual-order movement, the
region highlight and other similar features will behave
non-sensically.