Re: arrow keys vs. C-f/b/n/p

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: arrow keys vs. C-f/b/n/p
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2010 06:02:43 +0300

> From: Kenichi Handa <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
> Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2010 07:27:33 +0900
>
> > Paragraph direction determines whether the text starts at the left
> > window margin or at the right margin.  Text direction determines
> > the direction in which text is read.
>
> How about using the word "orientation" for "paragraph
> direction" to avoid confusion?

"Paragraph direction" is the term used by UAX#9.  I'm trying to use
terminology that is accepted there, so people who know about this or
want to read the description of the Unicode Bidirectional Algorithm
would not be confused.

> many people misunderstood that even latin letters are written from
> right to left in a paragraph (or a buffer) of "r2l direction".

??? Latin text is always displayed left to right, independent of the
paragraph direction.  More generally, text direction is independent of
the paragraph direction.