Re: Frame ordering

From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
Subject: Re: Frame ordering
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2010 16:35:22 +0900

>> We usually don't need to specify the next focus window (in
>> window-system terminology) that is to be selected when a window is
>> closed.  The window system or the window manager automatically move
>> the focus according to its policy (e.g., the frontmost window,
>> which may belong to another application).  This also applies to
>> Cocoa AppKit.

> IIUC David only talks about the foremost _Emacs_ "window" that shall
> get attention here.

At least Cocoa AppKit selects the foremost one just as we expect,
without the necessity of specifying the window that shall be shown.
That's the behavior of Emacs 22 Carbon+AppKit port and Emacs 23 Mac
port.  As far as I tested, many X11 window managers also behave like
this.  Only the NS port doesn't for some reason.

Given such situations, I'd think we should avoid touching the
platform-independent part (unless we have such a rather unusual
requirement like below).

> So _if_ we want to specify which other frame shall be shown when a
> frame gets deleted, we also should be able to communicate that to
> the window managers in some way.

                                     YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
                                address@hidden