Re: Window configurations

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: Window configurations
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2010 19:05:48 +0200

>>> So you're saying that C-x k's heuristic should be to try and restore
>>> the previous window state?  I guess that could make sense, yes.
>> I was saying that _if_ we want to fix the behavior to handle Juri's
>> case, we'd have to call `other-buffer' with VISIBLE_OK non-nil (or
>> something the like).
>
> I think changing the argument VISIBLE_OK won't help.  The existing
> calls of `other-buffer' (where VISIBLE_OK is nil) should keep the
> current behavior of `other-buffer' that prefers not visible buffers
> to visible buffers (when the window-local buffer-list is empty).

Sorry, I don't get you here.  Reconsider your earlier example:

2. Another example - visit the same buffer in two windows, and put point
at different positions of the same buffer.

+---------+---------+
|         |         |
| dired 1 | dired 1 |
|         |         |
|         |         |
+---------+---------+

Now view a file in the first window, and quit: `v q'.
The window configuration is correctly restored
(without using `set-window-configuration') - good.

Now do the same without `view-mode': `RET C-x k'.
Instead of the original buffer, some random buffer is displayed
in this window.

Doing C-x k currently winds up calling

replace_buffer_in_all_windows (buffer);

which calls

Fother_buffer (w->buffer, Qnil, w->frame)

so a visible buffer will not be put into that window.

martin