Re: Feature needed

From: James Cloos
Subject: Re: Feature needed
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2010 05:35:56 -0400

>> `C-u C-x =' displays this information.  For instance,
>>
>> character: Ä (196, #o304, #xc4)
>> to input: type "\"{A}" or "\"A" with TeX
>>
>> where the name of the input method has a link to its description.

DH> Doesn't it only check the current input method?

Indeed.  And even then it does't always report.  [See below.]

Checking every input method might be too ram or i/o intensive for all
users, but would make a reasonable option.

Or, given that the C-u C-x = output already has a link to customize what
Character code properties to show, it could have one to customize which
input methods to check, with the default being 'current.

Another possibility might be to have a script -> input mapping and to
use that to show a useful input method if the current one cannot input
the character in question.

I just tried out the name »παν語« (cf http://www.pango.org/), and even
with the japanese input method selected -- which I used to input the go --
the C-u C-x = output for 語 did not explain how to enter it.

-JimC
--
James Cloos <address@hidden>         OpenPGP: 1024D/ED7DAEA6