Un-setting HGRCPATH in vc-hg.el problematic

From: Sascha Wilde
Subject: Un-setting HGRCPATH in vc-hg.el problematic
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2010 13:38:00 +0200

Hi*,

in vc-hg-state and vc-hg-working-revision the hg binary is run with
HGRCPATH set to an empty string in its environment.  What is the
rational of doing so?  The comment states "Avoid localization of
messages so we can parse the output." but to my best knowledge the hgrc
files are not used to set the localization...

The problem with this is, that in general the hgrc files are used by
users/administrators to make configurations they actually want to use --
disabling this configurations unconditionally will be a source of
endless surprise and misbehavior.

I stumbled about it, when I suddenly noticed, that I got "Not trusting
file /foo/bar/stuff/.hg/hgrc from untrusted user bob, group users
Not trusting file /foo/bar/stuff/.hg/hgrc from untrusted user bob, group users
156" instead of the revision number in my mode line and was no longer
able to check in the altered file with C-v C-v.

The user bob is configured as trusted in our hg setup so this should not
happen -- but with HGRCPATH='' our setup is simply ignored -- that's
bad.

I'd suggest removing the HGRCPATH='' from the environment.  If there
are really configuration options that should be disabled for good
reasons in this functions, I'd suggest using the --config option of hg
to set them specifically.

cheers
sascha
--
Sascha Wilde

"Unix was the first OS where you could carry the media and system
documentation around in a briefcase. This was fixed in BSD4.2."