The unwarranted scrolling assumption

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: The unwarranted scrolling assumption
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2010 22:37:58 +0200

I get mad now and then at Emacs peculiar scrolling behavior. Now and
then I get told that it is fixed, but it is not as far as I can see.

It is a quite serious problem, but old Emacs users might oversee it
because of habits.

Here is what I think is the bad assumption:

* Many times you are looking at the point where the cursor is. If a
jump scroll happens then you just have to look for the cursor again. I
think the bad assumption is that you are always looking where the
cursor is when Emacs does it jumping scrolling.

So you get the advice to use packages that hilights the cursor. But it
does not help at all since you were not looking at that point.

Maybe the assumption that you are looking where the cursor is comes
from that there are other ways to scroll than to move the cursor to
the end of the window.

Perhaps there are such commands butt that does not help those that are
used to this kind of getting the window to scroll.

What is the problem with implementing a sane scroll in Emacs? I don't
understand it.