Confusing completion for buffer names

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Confusing completion for buffer names
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 15:26:46 -0400

I just found out that someone made * act as a wildcard in completion.
I cannot find this in etc/NEWS.  If it is there and I am overlooking it,
can someone show me the entry that pertains to it?

That feature can be useful, and does no harm when the
completion list does not include items that contain *s.  On buffer
names, however, it leads to frequent bizarre results.

Please turn off this feature when the completion list includes a
literal match for the *.  For instance, when reading a buffer name,
if you type * l TAB, the * should be treated as literal because
there are buffer names which start with *.

If there is no buffer name starting with `*l', I want it to say
`[No match]' -- not give me `*mail*'.