Re: Window configurations

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Window configurations
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2010 11:28:55 +0300

> My description was unclear.  I meant:
>
> (1) Pop up the help window.
>
> (2) In that window display some other buffer.
>
> (3) Kill that other buffer.
>
> What Emacs now shall do with the window is unclear.

Of course, it should switch back to the help buffer
without deleting the window.

> (2") Reuse the window to display info.
>
> (3") Quit info.
>
> which likely should delete the window.

3" should not delete the window.

Everything should work exactly as it already works in the simplest case:

(0) Run `emacs -Q'.

(1) Pop up the help window. `C-h f car RET C-x o'

(2) Reuse the window to display info.  `C-h i'

(3) In that window display some other buffer.  `C-h C-t'

(4) Kill that other buffer.  `C-x k RET'
    The previous buffer "*info*" is displayed in this window.

(5) Quit info.  `q'
    The previous buffer "*Help*" is displayed in this window.

(6) Type `q'
    The window is deleted.

IOW, we should not invent a new behavior, just fix some cases
(that I mentioned earlier where selecting another windows messes up
the global buffer list and thus detaches the buffer from its original
window).  I believe that using a window parameter `buffer-list'
will help to fix this.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/