Re: The unwarranted scrolling assumption

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: The unwarranted scrolling assumption
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 01:54:48 +0900

Lennart Borgman writes:

 > I have done the best I can. I do not know what to do.

Why don't you simply do what Eli asked, and test his patch?

You seem to be terrified that it might work, but if it does, it will
go it and make life better for you.  If it doesn't, you have no
guarantee that your patch will go in.

I agree from what you say that redisplay seems to be broken by design
here, and a more comprehensive patch should be considered.  But I also
agree with Eli that your proposed changes are scary (he might phrase
that differently) because redisplay is really complex, and any
substantial changes are likely to break something that is important to
somebody.  By Murphy's law, this will only manifest itself the day
before release.  You wouldn't want that, would you?

So "fixing the jumping scroll" and "fixing redisplay" are two
different things.  It is possible that Eli's patch will fix the
particular bug(s) that this thread treats, while leaving the
underlying design problem for later.