Re: The unwarranted scrolling assumption

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: The unwarranted scrolling assumption
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 14:23:41 +0200

On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 2:11 PM, David Engster <address@hidden> wrote:

> I have recentering there, too, since my main problems pretty clearly
> come from Emacs' redisplay not keeping up with keyboard input while
> leaning on the <down> key. This is supported by the fact that when I
> rebind <down> to '(progn (next-line) (redisplay t))', the recentering
> practically disappears.

I think that might be a misunderstanding. What is probably happening
is rather that redisplay somehow resets the state of clip_changed.

And that is needed. My patch does that without calling (redisplay t)
which would be time consuming.

> As far as I understood from this thread, neither
> Eli's nor Lennart's patches will be able to fix this, since this is a
> result of the basic design of the display engine.

I am not sure my patch fixes this, but I have seen no problem with
"jumping scrolling" when using it (but I have seen a problem with
visual-line-mode that looks a bit similar on the surface, but is
totally different). Something more may be hitting you but I believe my
patch is any way needed.

Since I do not have any clue if anything else hits you unless you test
my patch I would be glad if you did. That could make some progress
here and I could look into further problems too.

Do you want to test my patch? In that case I will try to make a clean
patch and send it here.