Re: Bug statistics

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: Bug statistics
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2010 21:40:55 -0400

Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden> writes:
>Although the debbugs UI is far from ideal, do you have any evidence
>that is one of the more important problems?

Only anecdotal, on a very limited sample (me).  I've occasionally fixed
bugs but not bothered to look for them in the bug tracker because the
process of doing so would be too time-consuming and difficult.

I don't know how many other developers are the same way, though.

>IMO the main problem is man power.
>
>There are >100 bugs with patches attached that have not been applied.
>For a lot of these patches there's no obvious maintainer to take care
>of them, so one of the maintainers would have to do it.
>
>Same goes about bug reports, quite a few are about areas that nobody
>feels particularly attached to, so they don't get any action.

Yeah.  As the post I pointed to explains, I'm not sure this is actually
a problem.

It would be nice to apply or reject the patches, though.  I don't know
how to find them.  Doing a search on the tag "patch" (as suggested by
the text "Valid tags are patch, wontfix, moreinfo, unreproducible,
fixed, notabug") claims to find 2006 bugs.  Since that's exactly how
many bugs total are in the tracker, it's got to be wrong.

-Karl