Re: support for git commit --amend/--signoff

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: support for git commit --amend/--signoff
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2010 20:44:22 +0900

Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden> writes:
> Given that you don't really plan to do anything about it, and I am
> convinced that it's the wrong solution for the problem based on my
> personal experience both with this particular feature and from using
> perforce.

I kinda like Stefan's method better too.

It ("Stefan's method") seems much more flexible, albeit maybe a little
more open to risk from the user fiddles where he shouldn't have.

I also agree with Stefan that it's somewhat more "emacsy", as it
leverages ordinary text in a buffer instead of hidden magic.  Like other
such cases I think it will thus tend to appeal more to experienced users
and maybe scare off noobs a bit; but since I am an experienced user, I'd
prefer flexibility and transparency.  As for the noobs, I think they win
in the long run, even if they're a bit put off in the short run, because
the relative transparency of such a mechanism makes it easier for them
to do more advanced things without getting tripped up by some hidden
behind-the-scenes mechanism.

A dedicated "vc-append" (or whatever) command which sets up the log
buffer appropriately with a pre-stuffed message and appropriate
meta-data seems a reasonable thing to me, but I really like the use of
the log buffer itself to hold all meta-data.

-Miles

p.s. Actually I don't know if it was Stefan that actually came up with
that method originally, but anyway, you get the idea.......

--
Suburbia: where they tear out the trees and then name streets after them.