Re: Bug statistics

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: Bug statistics
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2010 16:23:39 -0400

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> IMO the main problem is man power.
>
> 100% agreement.
>
> Someone(TM) should check whether the switch to Bazaar made the number
> and rate of contributions from non-core developers higher.  If not, we
> should look for ways to attract more contributors, because the current
> resources of manpower are evidently not large enough.

While new contributors are always to be welcomed, we shouldn't have
unrealistic expectations about their impact on the bug count.

Many of the unfixed bugs are "long tail" problems that are rather
difficult to find and/or fix.  Non-core contributors almost never work
on such issues, whereas core contributors have to juggle between fixing
these and working on new features.

This is not an Emacs-specific phenomenon, of course.