Re: Header lines of commit messages

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Header lines of commit messages
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2010 18:27:12 +0300

> From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <address@hidden>
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>,
>     address@hidden
> Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2010 00:04:07 +0900
>
> Romain Francoise writes:
>  > Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>  >
>  > > The header line that summarizes the commit conveys useless
>  > > information.
>
> I would phrase that "the headline conveys the information that
> thinking about this commit is useless to Emacs maintainers."<wink>
> Seriously, you've been describing your information overload in other
> contexts.

Exactly.  That is why seeing "cherry-pick commit ABCDEF" means I need
to read the whole commit message, i.e. waste my time, whereas "[merge]
Do not bind obsolete variables." tells it all without any additional
effort.

> Yes, as a member of the project, it's important to have
> some idea of who's active, but the details would just be overload.

Sorry, I'm not following.  I didn't want to see the author of the
change, just its essence.