Re: Composing Hebrew diacriticals

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: Composing Hebrew diacriticals
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2010 17:07:51 +0900

In article <address@hidden>, Yair F <address@hidden> writes:

> Sorry for the late response.
> Apparently the Culmus fonts are type1:
> /usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1/DavidCLM-Medium.pfa: PostScript Type 1 font
> text (DavidCLM-Medium 0.101)

How did you install that font?  I donwloaded
culmus-0.104.tar.gz from this page:
   http://sourceforge.net/projects/culmus/files/culmus/0.104/
and extracted DavidCLM-Medium.ttf from that tarball, and put
it under ~/.fonts.

Please try that (and uninstall the above type1 font), and
check if Emacs can use TrueType version of that font
correctly.

> But MS fonts are ttf, and they doesn't compose either.
> /usr/share/fonts/truetype/msttcorefonts/Arial.ttf: TrueType font data

I tried that font too.  That font doesn't have OpenType
tables for hebrew script.

% fc-list arial family capability
Arial
Arial:capability=otlayout\:arab

But, the function hebrew-shape-gstring has workaround code
for such fonts, and in my environment, hebrew diacriticals
are surely composed (although the positioning is not
optimal).

---
Kenichi Handa
address@hidden